Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

James 4: 13-17


“Beloved:
Come now, you who say,
“Today or tomorrow we shall go into such and such a town,
spend a year there doing business, and make a profit”–
you have no idea what your life will be like tomorrow.
You are a puff of smoke that appears briefly and then disappears.
Instead you should say,
“If the Lord wills it, we shall live to do this or that.”
But now you are boasting in your arrogance.
All such boasting is evil.
So for one who knows the right thing to do
and does not do it, it is a sin.”




We are reminded that our time in this life is brief. No one knows what tomorrow will bring. Each day is a gift from God. How will we choose to use this gift? Will we choose to use the day to do good things and give glory to the Lord or will we choose to do selfish things and give glory to the self? Boasting is the building up of self, giving glory to the self over giving glory to God. It is choosing the crooked path that leads away from the Lord.

This day is a gift from the Lord. I may not get another. I should use it wisely, doing those things that are important. My day should start with praise and thanks to the Lord who has granted it to me. I need to approach each new day with awe and appreciation. I need to love others as the Lord has loved me. I needn’t let the stresses of this life worry me for they all will pass away. Trust in the goodness of God and he will provide all that I need for the day.

And when the day draws to a close I need to thank the Lord once again for giving me another day to love and worship him, another day with my family, another day of life. I need to account for my failing this day and seek forgiveness for the times I followed the crooked path. I needn’t worry about tomorrow or how many days lay ahead of me. Lord willing I will be given many. When my time is through upon this earth I pray that I will have lived and loved to my fullest and that I will be able to continue to do so for all eternity with God in heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment