Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Tuesday, May 31, 2016


Romans 12: 9-16

Brothers and sisters:
Let love be sincere;
hate what is evil,
hold on to what is good;
love one another with mutual affection;
anticipate one another in showing honor.
Do not grow slack in zeal,
be fervent in spirit,
serve the Lord.
Rejoice in hope,
endure in affliction,
persevere in prayer.
Contribute to the needs of the holy ones,
exercise hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you,
bless and do not curse them.
Rejoice with those who rejoice,
weep with those who weep.
Have the same regard for one another;
do not be haughty but associate with the lowly;
do not be wise in your own estimation.

Jesus told the Twelve to love one another as he had loved them. In this passage from scripture we are told what that love looks like. Agape love, sacrificial love. Willing the best for everyone including those who hate and persecute us. This is a mandate on how a Christian is supposed to live his life. More importantly it is a mandate on how a servant of the Lord is to live his life. This is how God expects those who he calls to his service to live. We are to let the light of God shine through us for all to see in everything we do.

This is not something that can be done when our attention is pointed inwards. My love cannot be sincere when I am thinking of myself first. The only way that this is possible is for me to empty myself so I can be filled with the light of Jesus. I need to become the lantern to carry this light to all in darkness. A lamp produces its own light whereas a lantern shows forth a light produced from an external source.

If I allow myself to be filled with the love God has for me that love will spring forth and flow out from me in all that I do. It is our greatest source of real joy and happiness. If we do as this passage teaches we will live a good life in spite of any difficulty we are faced with. I life well lived is its own reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment