Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Thursday, July 7, 2016


Hosea 11: 1-4, 8E-9

Thus says the LORD:
When Israel was a child I loved him,
out of Egypt I called my son.
The more I called them,
the farther they went from me,
Sacrificing to the Baals
and burning incense to idols.
Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
who took them in my arms;
I drew them with human cords,
with bands of love;
I fostered them like one
who raises an infant to his cheeks;
Yet, though I stooped to feed my child,
they did not know that I was their healer.

My heart is overwhelmed,
my pity is stirred.
I will not give vent to my blazing anger,
I will not destroy Ephraim again;
For I am God and not man,
the Holy One present among you;
I will not let the flames consume you.

How difficult is it for a parent when their beloved children rebel against them? Who among us has not been that rebellious child? How many of those rebellious children go on to be loving parents? I look back through my life and I clearly see the pain I caused my father with my rebellious attitude. I can also see the deep love my father had for me. Now I am in his place with children of my own. Now I understand things from his side of the coin. I wish I could be half the father my dad tried to be.

So how much more so does this apply to God?  The resounding message in the Old Testament is “I am your God, you are my people. I love you.” And what happens over and over again? God’s beloved rebels against him constantly turning to gods of their own creation that can never love them back. Are we really that different today? We have created for ourselves our own gods. We have even gone as far as making ourselves our own gods. We sacrifice for our own selfish pleasure. The Old Testament people sacrificed their children to the gods of Ba’al. We sacrifice our children to material possessions, money, pleasure, and a host of other selfish desires. We are no better than those who have gone before us.

God’s heart is heavy. He is filled with pity for those of these generations. He promised not to destroy Israel like he did in the great flood but how long can he hold back his anger with this generation? Every society that has ever practiced child sacrifice has been wiped off of the planet. Every society except ours. But where there is love there is hope. God loves us and will never give up on us. We still have time to repent. We still have time to turn our hearts back to our Father and give him the love of children.

Lord, make yourself known to those who live in darkness. Call us back to your loving arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment