Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Friday, July 29, 2016

Luke 10: 38-42

Jesus entered a village
where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him.
She had a sister named Mary
who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak.
Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said,
“Lord, do you not care
that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving?
Tell her to help me.”
The Lord said to her in reply,
“Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.
There is need of only one thing.
Mary has chosen the better part
and it will not be taken from her.”

I am like Martha. I am a sacristan. Sacristans oversee the Mass. We make sure everything is setup properly so Mass can go as smoothly as possible. The people who attend the Mass are like Mary. They get to sit and listen to the words of the Lord. They get to hold him in their hands; take him completely into their beings. They get the better part, or if we use a better translation of the Greek, they get the good part. Meanwhile I scurry anxiously about constantly worried about the forgotten or the unforeseen. I am like Martha.

There is need of only one thing. Jesus did not want Martha to wait on him hand and foot. Jesus came to visit and spend time with those he dearly loved. Mary sat at Jesus’ feet and gave him exactly what he wanted: her time and attention. Martha ran about trying to attend to the needs she perceived he had. He wanted her company and she gave him service.

How often are we like Martha? How often do we spend time serving people who only want our company? Every year we scrambled to find my father the perfect gift for Father’s Day, his birthday, or Christmas. We put a lot of thought and running about to find just the right gift to show him how much we loved him. Every gift he accepted with gratitude.

Now I wear my father’s shoes. Now I am the recipient of gifts meant to bring me happiness and joy. Now I can truly understand what my father felt all those years. All I really want is the love of my children, a tight and lasting hug, and to hear, “I love you dad.” As my children grow older and leave the house to start their own lives all I really want is their time. How I wish I understood this when I was the child searching for the perfect gift.

Mary gave Jesus the perfect gift – her love. He desires love, not service. She has chosen the good part and it will not be taken from her.


No comments:

Post a Comment