Monday, June 20, 2016

Monday, June 20, 2016


Matthew 7: 1-5

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Stop judging, that you may not be judged.
For as you judge, so will you be judged,
and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye,
but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?
How can you say to your brother,
‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’
while the wooden beam is in your eye?
You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first;
then you will see clearly
to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye.”

Who among us is righteous enough to stand as judge of our brother? We all are sinners who fall short of the glory of God. How can one condemned man condemn another? Let he without sin cast the first stone.

This passage speaks to us of mercy. Love demands both mercy and justice but mercy is the greater of the two. Out of love God extends us his mercy for our transgressions. Only when we refuse to accept that mercy will we receive his justice.

God therefore sets before us this paradigm: Love as I have loved you. Forgive and I will forgive as you do. Mercy shall be shown unto you in the same measure you have given mercy. If I want God’s forgiveness and mercy in the fullest he is capable of giving I must forgive and extend mercy in the fullest I am able to give. Whatever lien I retain against a brother the Lord will retain against me. In this regard I become my own judge, jury, and executioner. If I bring judgment against my brother I bring judgment against myself. Am I so righteous as to believe that I have nothing to be judged against?

Hate is the most effective form of suicide. It does nothing against the person for whom the feelings are felt yet it kills the one who feels it. It doesn’t just kill the body in as much as it condemns the soul. Body and soul live so closely to one another that they share diseases. Hate that poisons the soul sickens the body. A sick body and poisoned soul leads to despair that separates one from the love of the Father.

Doctor, heal thyself. Let go of any hate you feel for another. Pray for them instead. Extend to them your mercy and ask God to send his. Liberate your soul from the self imposed prison your animosity has put you in. Mercy is the key for the soul locked in condemnation.



No comments:

Post a Comment